Jill pioneered the international sound healing movement through her rediscovery of ancient vocal techniques, the power of group chant, and the spiritual potential of the voice as a magical instrument for healing and meditation. Through her workshops, Inner Sound and Voice, The Healing Voice, Re-Enchanting the World, Ritual and Resonance, Healing the Family and Healing the Ancestors, she has taught diverse forms of sacred chant, and especially overtone chanting. She is the author of The Mystic Spiral: Journey of the Soul, a book about the evolution of consciousness in spiritual traditions, art and psychology.
Interested in the magical properties of the voice, she learned overtone chanting (producing chords or simultaneous notes octaves apart). The latter she studied in the Himalayas with the chantmaster of the Gyutö Tibetan Monastery and Tantric College. She has also worked with American Indians and Shamans from different traditions. Some of her published works include Patterns of Growth in Nature and Consciousness, Time and the Music of Form, Creative Tension, Harmonics of Mind and Body, Sound in Mind and Body, Healing Resonance, Re-Enchanting the World, The Healing Voice and Being In Tune.
This experiential program will explore how sound and the voice have been understood and used in different traditions not only as a description of cosmogonic resonance but as the most effective way to harmonize the mind, body and spirit and ultimately achieve enlightenment. The voice is used to re-enchant, which literally means to make magical through chant.
Jill demonstrates how our voice transforms our life by means of a uniquely powerful energy. This can be harnessed for physical, emotional, psychological and spiritual healing. By freeing the voice, it is possible to restore physical health and emotional joy and find spiritual ecstasy.
Goal: To identify the unique role of the voice in healing and spiritual transformation and to experience how its use can lead to an enduring peace and state of presence that combines emptiness with clarity.
- To realize how sound is both material and non-material and how bridging these dimensions is the path of transformation,
- To describe the healing power of the voice, and
- To review what it means to be in tune, to be “sound in mind and body.”
To re-enchant literally means to make magical through chanting. Explore the secrets of the voice to restore our soul’s magical connection with the Source, to come back to the present with emptiness and clarity and to be re-included, as resonant beings, within the field of the resonant world, and to heal and transform ourselves and others.
By experimenting with the psycho-physical effects of breathing, the ancient shamanic techniques of overtone chanting, sacred chants, Mantric and sonic meditations, we attune together, moving into profound meditative states. Sonorous yogas set different parts of the body/mind into resonant healing, cleanse and tune the chakras, and release untapped sources of energy. Vocal resonances are explored to allow you to open your heart, and find joy, liberation and ecstasy in the discovery of an unlimited source of power through the encounter of your own voice in resonant and ritual community.
Goal: To experience, magically through the voice, the normally difficult aim of all meditations, to come alive in the enduring present; to be released from the life sentence of anxiety, the crippling regrets of the past and onerous dreads of the future, into joyful liberation in the present.
- To examine how the voice can uniquely call us home and maintain us in the ecstasy of the perpetual now, giving rise to states of harmony and bliss, the cause of real healing,
- To consider sonic resonance and its importance for healing and transformative states of being, and
- To demonstrate sonorous fields and the nature of resonant inclusion.
Explore the power of the voice to reconnect us as resonant beings with the resonant world, and to heal and transform ourselves and others. We attune together, moving into deep meditative states by experimenting with the psycho-physical effects of breathing, and with the ancient shamanic technique of Mongolian overtone chanting, sacred chants, and mantric and sonic meditations.
Through sound, we will cleanse different parts of the body-mind and tune the chakras, while releasing untapped sources of energy. With ritual, we will then open our hearts and find joy, liberation and ecstasy in the discovery of an unlimited source of power through the encounter of our own individual voice in community.
Post-Conference All-Day Retreat 1: The Healing Voice Intensive
Thursday and Friday, November 20 and 21 - 9:00am to 5:00pm
A joyful and uplifting experience with sound for healing and the transformation of consciousness.
- Liberate your voice, to make contact with deep levels of the Self and release an untapped source of energy.
- Work with the psycho-physical effects of breathing, chanting, and mantric and sonic meditations.
- Learn to tune and listen together, move from the intuitive level into profound meditative states.
- Develop breath and sound in ways to set different parts of the body-mind in resonance and give sonic massage.
- Work with vocal purification practices to cleanse and tune the chakras and experience the nature of the radiant body.
- Enter directly into subtle dimensions of sound by magical voice techniques including Mongolian overtone chanting.
- Work with powerful sonorous ritual to release dysfunctional aspects of yourself, open your heart, and heal your soul.
Post-Conference All-Day Retreat 2: Ritual and Resonance: The Healing Voice
Saturday and Sunday, November 22 and 23 - 9:00am to 5:00pm
During these days, we will explore some of the following, as well as work ceremonially with the resonant fields of our ancestors.
- Work with mantra and discover the power of names.
- Uncover deep levels of the soul through trance healing, extended shamanic ceremony, chant, and mantra.
- Heal and reveal the dynamics of family patterns. Participate in extended ceremonies to acknowledge the blessings of your ancestral lines and to forgive and clear repeated negative patterns that have been passed down from generation to generation.